The R programming language and ecosystem constitute a rich tool set for performing system analyses, for communicating the results and importance of those analyses, and for automating the process with reproducible and repeatable results. This brief introduction to R and its ecosystem will provide a walk along the mainline — coming up to speed on R, accessing data, and getting results.
This tutorial will
- motivate you to pick up R
- introduce the basics of the R language
- demonstrate useful techniques using R and RStudio
- illustrate ways to simplify your life by automating data analysis and reporting
In-class demonstrations will be complemented with hands-on opportunities during the workshop. Additional exercises and data sets that students can explore following the workshop will be provided.
This tutorial is designed for system administrators who are awash in operational data and who want to do a more efficient job of understanding their data and communicating their findings to others. Some facility with programming and a knowledge of basic descriptive statistics are assumed. Prior knowledge of R is not required.
- Understanding where R fits into the system administrator’s tool set
- Acquaintance with R, R packages, and R Studio
- Familiarity with basic R data-manipulation techniques
- Motivation to learn or improve your R skills
- Next steps to take in mastering R
Analytics of System Data