The Seventeenth Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS 2021) will take place on August 8–10, 2021 and will be co-located with USENIX Security '21.
In cooperation with USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association
All dates are at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth) time.
- Priority submission deadline: Thursday, May 27, 2021
- Priority acceptance notification: Friday, June 11, 2021
- Final video submission deadline: Tuesday, July 20, 2021
Lightning Talks Co-Chairs
Sanchari Das, University of Denver
Blase Ur, University of Chicago
Lightning Talks and Demos Junior Co-Chair
Amel Bourdoucen, Aalto University
A continuing feature of SOUPS is a session of strictly timed 5-minute lightning talks. These talks provide an opportunity to interact with the SOUPS community on a range of usable privacy and security topics. Examples of acceptable topics include:
- Discussion of your research vision, potentially including preliminary research results
- Describing a challenge in research, industry, or government that could benefit from community feedback, attention, and new collaborations
- Recounting lessons learned from conducting user studies in academia, industry, or government labs
- Introducing an open-source tool or community project to encourage attendees to use or contribute to it
- Presenting an exciting visualization, new user interface, or interaction paradigm related to security and privacy
We particularly encourage students and practitioners in industry who have never before presented at SOUPS, especially first-time attendees to submit a lightning talk proposal. This is a great opportunity to present your research interests and vision to the community, generate hallway conversation, and receive helpful feedback. We also invite advisors to encourage their students to present ongoing work.
Submissions received after May 27 will be considered until the program is full.
Accepted Lightning talks will be pre-recorded, with opportunity for discussion during the conference. More details will be provided as they are finalized.
Submit Your Proposal
If you would like to give a lightning talk, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, affiliation, title of the talk, and a brief abstract (up to 200 words).