First page Back Continue Last page Summary Graphic
Open vs. closed source -Historic data
Where both were tried simultaneously, open source has won against closed source, despite the apparent marketing advantage of closed source companies
- Past - X Window System
- Bested Andrew, Sun's NeWS, Sun's X11/NeWS merge and Digital's "common server" project
- This was even before the Internet had scaled up very far
- Recent - Apache web server
- Bested Netscape, and reduced Microsoft IIS to "You can't be fired for choosing Microsoft"
- The community understands what open really is
- Java, Sun community license is a lead balloon
Why and How do such things happen?