LISA '13: Video, Audio, and Photos (open access)
This week we posted our official USENIX LISA '13 conference videos and photos. For your browsing pleasure, I've created this streamlined clickable list. (Don't forget to follow LISA on Twitter, G+, and Facebook to stay updated on LISA '14 news.)
Video and Audio:
- Systems Performance by Brendan Gregg, Joyent
- OSv: A New Open Source Operating System Designed for the Cloud by Nadav Har'El, Cloudius Systems Ltd
- Surveillance, the NSA, and Everything by Bruce Schneier, Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
- dsync: Efficient Block-wise Synchronization of Multi-Gigabyte Binary Data by Thomas Knauth and Christof Fetzer, Technische Universität Dresden (Awarded Best Paper!)
- Making Problem Diagnosis Work for Large-Scale, Production Storage Systems by Michael P. Kasick and Priya Narasimhan, Carnegie Mellon University; Kevin Harms, Argonne National Laboratory
- Poncho: Enabling Smart Administration of Full Private Clouds by Scott Devoid and Narayan Desai, Argonne National Laboratory; Lorin Hochstein, Nimbis Services
- Secure Linux Containers by Daniel J Walsh, Red Hat
- Managing Access Using SSH Keys by Tatu Ylönen, SSH Communications Security, and Inventor of SSH
- Building Large Scale Services by Jennifer Davis, Yahoo! Senior Grid Service Engineer, SE Tech Lead
- Scaling User Security: Lessons Learned from Shipping Security Features at Etsy by Zane Lackey, Director of Security Engineering, and Kyle Barry, Security Engineering Manager, Etsy
- Cluster Management at Google by John Wilkes, Google
- Cloud/IaaS Platforms: I/O Virtualization and Scheduling by Dave Cohen, Office of the CTO, EMC
- Optimizing VM Images for OpenStack with KVM/QEMU Fall 2013 by Chet Burgess, Senior Director, Engineering, and Brian Wellman, Director, Operations, Metacloud, Inc.
- Apache Hadoop for System Administrators by Allen Wittenauer, LinkedIn, Inc.
- OS X Hardening: Securing a Large Global Mac Fleet by Greg Castle, Security Engineer, Google Inc.
- Managing Macs at Google Scale by Clay Caviness and Edward Eigerman, Google Inc.
- Futures by Rob Sherwood, Big Switch Networks; Mark Cavage, Joyent; Nadav Har'El, Cloudius Systems Ltd.
- Rethinking Dogma: Musings on the Future of Security by Dan Kaminsky, Chief Scientist, White Ops
- Manta Storage System Internals by Mark Cavage, Joyent
- ZFS for Everyone by George Wilson, Delphix
- Installation of an External Lustre Filesystem using Cray esMS management and Lustre 1.8.6 by Patrick Webb, Cray Inc.
- Drifting into Fragility by Matt Provost, Weta Digital
- Enterprise Architecture Beyond the Perimeter by Cian Synnott, Systems Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering, and Jan Monsch, Security Engineer, Google Security Team, Google
- The Efficacy of Cybersecurity Regulation: Examining the Impact of Law on Security Practices by David Thaw, Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, University of Connecticut; Affiliated Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
- Hacking your Mind and Emotions by Branson Matheson, SGT
- Back to the Future: Fault-tolerant Live Update with Time-traveling State Transfer by Cristiano Giuffrida, Călin Iorgulescu, Anton Kuijsten, and Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam (Awarded Best Student Paper!)
- Supporting Undoability in Systems Operations by Ingo Weber and Hiroshi Wada, NICTA and University of New South Wales; Alan Fekete, NICTA and University of Sydney; Anna Liu and Len Bass, NICTA and University of New South Wales
- HotSnap: A Hot Distributed Snapshot System For Virtual Machine Cluster by Lei Cui, Bo Li, Yangyang Zhang, and Jianxin Li, Beihang University
- LEAN Operations: Applying 100 Years of Manufacturing Knowledge to Modern IT by Ben Rockwood, Joyent
- Hyperscale Computing with ARM Servers by Jon Masters, Red Hat
- Women in Advanced Computing (WiAC) by Moderator: Rikki Endsley, USENIX Association, and Panelists: Amy Rich, Mozilla Corporation; Deanna McNeil, Learning Tree International; Amy Forinash, NASA/GSFC; Deirdré Straughan, Joyent
- Becoming a Gamemaster: Designing IT Emergency Operations and Drills by Adele Shakal, Director, Project & Knowledge Management, Metacloud, Inc.; Formerly Technical Project Manager at USC ITS, ITS Great Shakeout 2011, IT Emergency Operations, and Drill Designer
- What We Learned at Spotify, Navigating the Clouds by Noa Resare and Ramon van Alteren, Spotify
- Storage Performance Testing in the Cloud by Jeff Darcy, Red Hat
- YinzCam: Experiences with In-Venue Mobile Video and Replays by Nathan D. Mickulicz, Priya Narasimhan, and Rajeev Gandhi, YinzCam, Inc., and Carnegie Mellon University
- Live Upgrading Thousands of Servers from an Ancient Red Hat Distribution to 10 Year Newer Debian Based One by Marc Merlin, Google, Inc.
- How Netflix Embraces Failure to Improve Resilience and Maximize Availability by Ariel Tseitlin, Director, Cloud Solutions, Netflix
- Building a Networked Appliance by John Sellens, Syonex
- User Space by Noah Zoschke, Sr. Platform Engineer, Heroku
- Fixing On-call, or How to Sleep Through the Night (audio only) by Matt Provost, Weta Digital
- Building Software Environments for Research Computing Clusters by Mark Howison, Aaron Shen, and Andrew Loomis, Brown University
- Effective Configuration Management by N.J. Thomas, Amplify Education
- A Working Theory-of-Monitoring by Caskey L. Dickson, Site Reliability Engineer, Google Inc.
- Leveraging In-Memory Key Value Stores for Large-Scale Operations by Mike Svoboda, Staff Systems and Automation Engineer, LinkedIn; Diego Zamboni, Senior Security Advisor, CFEngine
- Our Jobs Are Evolving: Can We Keep Up? by Mandi Walls, Senior Consultant, Opscode Inc.
- PostOps: A Non-Surgical Tale of Software, Fragility, and Reliability by Todd Underwood, Google
- Blazing Performance with Flame Graphs by Brendan Gregg, Joyent
- Modern Infrastructure: The Convergence of Network, Compute, and Data by Jason Hoffman, Founder, Joyent
Blog Posts and News Links:
- Interview with Brendan Gregg, winner of the 2013 LISA Award for Outstanding Achievement in System Administration
- USENIX: Flame graph shows system performance in a new light
- USENIX: Red Hat prepares for 64-bit ARM servers
- Security expert seeks to make surveillance costly again
- Is there a link between the low cost of storage and government surveillance?
- Introduction to Chef
- Recap of Gluster Community Day at USENIX LISA
- Evil Genius 101
- Continuous Integration with Jenkins
- Getting to Senior: Sysadmin Level IV and Beyond
- Non-Abstract Large System Design for Sysadmins
- More Power with PowerShell - Class Review
- Six Days of LISA '13
- The 2013 Check Yerkes Award Goes to...
- LISA13 Conference Review / Overview Thing
Posted by Rikki Endsley
November 21, 2013 - 1:55 pm